You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Eddie_the_Kid

[+1] [-1]

Subject: 1) What is privacy?
There are many different definitions of privacy out there in academia, the one that I am most directly using is that which was presented by Adam Moore in his 2003 paper "Privacy: Its Meaning and Value"

"A right to privacy can be understood as a right to maintain a certain level of control over the inner spheres of personal information and access to one's body, capacities, and powers. It is a right to limit public access to oneself and to information about oneself," (Moore, 2003, pg. 218).

I am using this particular definition of privacy because of its scope. Many other definitions focus on legal rights, or private information becoming public only. Or another popular theory has been to say that there is no actual right to privacy but instead a cluster of other more fundamental rights like freedom of speech, private property, and liberty (Parent, 1983, pg. 273). What I like about Moore's definition is that he does take this into account, but is trying to show why we do need to consider privacy as a real right, even though there is overlap with other rights.

Time Posted: October 26 2011 10:11 am EDT
Last updated: October 26 2011 10:12 am EDT

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: